Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Touchy Subject

In our young adult Sunday School class Stan has been throwing out "hot topics" such as homosexuality, abortion, euthenasia, etc. He has encouraged us to open our minds to looking at things in light of Scripture rather than with a bias because of what we have been taught. I have missed several classes because of filling in for other teachers or uncooperative children, but today I was able to be there. The topic of the day was alcohol and the discussion was rather heated. People seem to be passionate about this subject from whatever side of the fence they are standing. It was interesting to hear people's opinions but I became a bit disheartened as I listened. I wonder if we are focusing on the wrong thing. Why do we get so upset about "our rights" or "our liberties." Living in God's grace does not mean stretching His limits as far as they will go. Maybe I am "closed minded"--I'm sure many think so, but this topic was especially upsetting to me. Maybe talking about alcohol is the wrong way to go...maybe we should be talking about holiness. How can we be more "set apart," more sanctified to serve God...Just a thought. I'm anxious for your comments/opinions. Please feel free to "enlighten" me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alcohol and the consumption of it were definitely topics that I had to discuss in my own mind when I moved to Nashville. Being from small-town America, drinking was considered sin, period. If you set foot in the tavern you were obviously not a true Christian, even if you were only going in because their chicken fingers were incredible! Not so true once you are outside of the small-town bubble. I agree that we are to do nothing that would cause our fellow brothers or sisters in Christ to stumble. That is why drinking was always such a big deal in small-town America. In large-city USA drinking is seen as social. To have one drink while out with friends is not considered sin, but is culturally accepted as ok. This was CRAZY HARD for me to swallow. The Bible talks about this issue, in fair detail. This is just my oppinion, but in the society that I live in, it is acceptable to drink socially. When i say "drink" I mean have one or two. Drunkenness is obvious sin, no question. For me, if I were to smell alcohol that would be sin for me...I would be stumbling around!! I guess what I am saying is that in my surroundings now, I would not look down upon a drink or two...as long as there is no drunkenness involved! My view would be totally different if I still lived in small-town America! ??
Phil. 4:13)

Anonymous said...

sorry Misty....I love commenting...I guess no one else is sharing our passion.... Kind of hard to make conversation with one person. I'll keep commenting though. Maybe I just need to argue with my self!! That could get ugly! Hope and Peace!!
Phil. 4:13)