Monday, June 13, 2005

Any opinions out there?

I've decided to give the debate idea one more try...
New topic--tatoos/piercings. Outside of the two holes in my ears I've never really had a desire for either...but not because of any moral/religious conviction. I think for the most part this is a generational argument. The older generation seeing piercings and tatoos as rebellious and destructive to the body. The younger generation seeing it as a form of expression. I have no problem with a piercing or tatoo...but I must admit there is a point at which I get uncomfortable. If I saw someone with one or two piercings and a few tatoos, no big deal. However, if I saw someone with MANY pierings and MANY tatoos I might get a little uncomfortable. Although I feel I am a very open person who loves to get to know people of all different kinds, I must admit I get a bit uncomfortable at the sight of an overly tatooed or pierced body. Why is that? And does the Bible say anything about this subject?

3 comments:

Misty said...

Thanks for the comment Echo! Stan has pointed out that same scripture to other people. It gets quite a rise out of some!

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that tatoos and piercings aren't referred to in the Scriptures except in a contextual form. Just like long hair, head-coverings, etc. I think pointing to the Scriptures to argue about the look of our outside bodies is a little ridiculous. Haven't we better issues to discuss....like salvation and grace? I personally have no tattoos, but only because I know they will look really bad when I'm old, balm and wrinkly. Just a little too spontaneous for me.

Misty said...

Great comments guys! Although I am a bit dissapointed that we all agree! Just kidding! It would be fun to have someone who has a different perspective give their input though. Are there any of you out there?