Wednesday, February 22, 2006

There really is very little exciting about turning 28. Honestly, its just one year closer to 30 as far as I'm concerned! There are milestone birthdays...13, 16, 18, 21, 25 (big break on your car insurance!) but 28....not really anything special. However, today has been one of the best birthdays to date thanks to my husband. He really is wonderful and he always comes through when I least deserve it. (I've been a bit of a diva this week. )

Birthdays are a good time to reflect. Here's what I've been contemplating today...
1) It took me a LONG time to really know myself. I think I walked through life having no idea who I was for a very long time. Being a people-pleaser, I am fairly sure I was always just trying to be whoever everyone around me wanted me to be. Sad, but true. In my late twenties I am finally coming to terms with myself and realizing that its okay that I'm just me. Now if I can just get used to being myself around other people....something to work on before 30.
2) I am valuable to God. Heard a great illustration recently about value. A dollar bill is still worth $1 regardless of whether its brand new, crispy, straight from the mint or old, crumpled, filthy and straight from a greasy pocket. And I am worth God's only Son's life whether I'm brand new, crisp and clean or beat down, dirty and worn. Grace is an awesome thing.
3) I need to be a better friend. I get extremely wrapped up in my own world and forget to work on friendships. Then I wonder why I've lost touch with all the girls who have meant so much to me over the years. I'm terrible at writing and even worse at picking up the phone. This year I'm going to work on that. The old saying is true, "If you want a friend, you must first be one."

That's all for now. Going to go do some cleaning and laundry... but its okay because I'm looking forward to a dinner with my husband this evening!

2 comments:

sara said...

Knew it was your birthday yesterday. Meant to call. Ran out of time. Day flew by too fast. Sorry! Don't worry, you're not the only one who has difficulty keeping in touch with friends...I struggle with the same issue. Frustrating, I know. Know I love ya and was thinking about ya on your big day!! Sorry, your birthday wish is a day late:)

Misty said...

Thanks for thinking of me Sara! I understand--I am terrible about bdays. Miss you!